Cross Sound Ferry Policies and Procedures for COVID-19 Safety
These updated policies are effective February 1, 2021.
Phenomenal Aire™ Cold Plasma Generators (CPG) Installed on Vessels
Cross Sound Ferry would like to let its customers know it has installed new Phenomenal AireTM and Active Dust Free® air purification systems aboard its fleet of vessels as additional preventative measures it is taking to ensure customer and employee health and safety.
Phenomenal AireTM Cold Plasma Generators(CPG) and Active Dust Free® air purifiers have been installed into the air handlers of all passenger spaces aboard the company’s fleet of vessels currently operating between New London, CT and Orient Point, Long Island, NY and in both ticket office locations.
Phenomenal AireTM produces an electric field filled with highly charged ions. The ions act as a natural scrubbing agent for the air passing through the field. The scrubbing process (bipolar ionization) safely disables viruses and other harmful microorganisms. On its website, Phenomenal AireTM states its system’s bipolar ionization technology disables the Human Coronavirus (229E) and that similar results are anticipated for COVID-19.
The Active Air Purifiers utilize ionic oxidation, negative ionization and UV-C light to purify the air. They remove viruses, bacteria and germs from the air.
Other measures and procedures are described below.
To our valued customers:
Cross Sound Ferry is committed to serving you, as we continue to operate and provide frequent service for vehicles, trucks and passengers between Orient Point and New London. We are taking measures to ensure the safety and well-being of our passengers and employees. We want to make you aware of recent updates to our procedures during these unprecedented times. We hope you and your families are safe and healthy. We welcome seeing you back soon.
At Cross Sound Ferry, the safety of our customers and employees is our top priority. We are closely monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and taking appropriate action based on recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as well as state and local authorities. Please click on the links below for the latest guidelines and information.
Centers for Disease Control NY Coronavirus Info CT Coronavirus Info
In order to maintain a safe environment for all, we have implemented the following:
• Change. Cross Sound Ferry's temporary special consideration for passengers to remain in their vehicles during transit issued by the United States Coast Guard in an effort to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 will be expiring June 26, 2021. Therefore, effective Sunday, June 27th all passengers MUST exit their vehicles while the vessel is underway.
• Masks. Per the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), FEDERAL LAW requires passengers to wear masks while indoors aboard the ferry or inside the ferry terminal building except while eating or drinking. Nothing in these rules requires the use of a mask or cloth face covering by anyone for whom doing so would be contrary to his or her health or safety due to a medical condition, disability, or by a child under the age of 2 years. Please follow the links above to review the latest information and guidance issued by the Centers for Disease Control, the State of New York and the State of Connecticut.
• Hands-Free Ticketing. To minimize exposure, we are limiting the handling of boarding tickets from passengers with reservations. When you arrive at the terminal, please wear your mask, and hold your reservation bar code up so we can scan it. If you do not have the bar code, please read the reservation number to our check-in agent. Your tickets will be printed and placed on your windshield (weather permitting). Our staff will collect the tickets prior to boarding.
• Social Distancing. We have lowered the passenger capacities on our vessels to promote social distancing. While traveling with Cross Sound Ferry, please maintain social distancing measures whenever possible, such as staying and sitting with your household group, minimizing movement throughout the cabin, and avoiding long lines We have marked off booths aboard the vessels with blue tape. These booths are not to be used to ensure social distancing measures.
• Increased the frequency of cleaning for all vessels and shoreside facilities. Our crews are deep cleaning and sanitizing at night while vessels are not operating. We have also increased the quantity of antibacterial hand sanitizing stations on all vessels and shoreside facilities and increased the inventory of all antibacterial cleaning supplies and sanitizers.
Please follow personal hygiene recommendations from the CDC, and DO NOT TRAVEL IF YOU ARE SICK OR HAVE ANY OF THE CDC COVID-19 SYMPTOMS. For additional information regarding the Coronavirus, visit the CDC homepage.
We will continue to monitor and respond as necessary to the latest updates from various agencies regarding COVID-19.
We look forward to sailing with you. Thank you for being a Cross Sound Ferry customer.